The Fundamentals of markets:
- Investors and Expectations
- The Borrowers, perspective and leverage
- The Time Value of Money
- Discounted Cash flows
- National and Global Economies
- Perfect Markets
- Efficient Markets
- Inefficiency and Market Bubbles
- Portfolio Theory
- Risk Versus Return
Issuers and Borrowers of Funds:
- Exploring the role and function of governments, corporate (Domestic and International), municipals, supranational organisations, financial Institutions and agencies.
The Investors of Funds:
- Exploring the role and function as investors of corporate , pension funds, asset managers, insurance companies, hedge funds, money Managers, commercial and central banks, governments and private individuals
The core financial instruments:
- What makes up the market?
- Which financial instruments are available
- What are the characteristics of each financial instrument and associated risk?
- Equity, debt (bonds and notes), convertibles, loans, CD's and CP, currencies, foreign exchange and securitised instruments
- Exploring the use of forwards contracts, future contracts, options, SWAPS and credit default swaps
World Exchanges and Financial Markets:
- What are the main characteristics, size and associated risk of global equity markets, fixed income markets, global money markets, foreign exchange markets, derivatives market, commodities markets and the real estate market?
Role of Commercial and Investment Banks:
- Understanding the key players and their actions.
- The role of commercial banks, spreads commission and fees, credit pricing models, investment banks, market making, trading and broking, custody and operations
Global Market Risk and Instrument Risk:
- What drives the market?
- Which are the global risk factors
- What is market risk, industry risk and instrument risk?
Market Regulation and Monitoring:
- Global Regulatory Institutions and their function
- Basel III and banking
- Banking Regulation and the Front, Middle and Back office perspective
- IFRS and the corporate
- The role of the auditors
The Corporate Life Cycle and Market Interaction:
- The search for value
- The Debt / Equity structure
- Corporate Governance
- Agency Theory
- The Dividend Policy
- IPOs and private placements
- Subscriptions, general cash offers, stock splits and scrip issues
Introduction to Qualitative Analysis
- Exploring qualitative measures determining value.
- Equity and company valuation
- Forecasting earnings
- Equity risk premiums
Introduction to Quantitative Measures
- Exploring quantitative measures determining value.
- Statistical measures and market returns
- Correlation and Regression
- Time series Analysis
- Portfolio Concepts